Wednesday 24 October 2012

21st October 2012...conquering Box Hill...

We were on our way down to the Beach Hut at Goring-by-Sea so I stuck Belle on the bike rack and jumped off just past Dorking, as the family continued on. In the event with rain foreecast we stayed in Barns Green to celebrate Tom's birthday.
I was soon onto the hairpin road, and with fresh legs ground up fairly easily...I was overtaken by quite a few faster (and younger!) cyclists, but decided not to stop at the busy cyclists cafe at the top. I  reckon that would be a tough climb NINE times as they did in the Olympic road race.
I have signed up for the RideLondon100mile event on 4/8/13. 20,000 cyclists will do the 100 miles from the Olympic park to Boxhill and back, more or less following the Olympic route...I hope I get in.
Dropping down the other side I sped through the flattish Surrey countryside and on through Horsham to Barns Green, the village where my wife grew up, and family still live.
I took a small diversion to go and see the lovely Itchingfield Parish Church...where we were married 28 years ago!
As I arrived the rain started....
28.7m 1h58m at leisurely 14.6mph 1386ft


No comments:

Post a Comment