Thursday 3 June 2010

31/5/10 London to Ireland & Kettering!!!


Ever since London to Paris in 2007 I've wanted to complete the 'loop'by cycling the Kettering to London route. In the event I thought it better to go by train & cycle back, so if any technical problems I didnt have a train to miss.
On a cool grey morning I was up early & down onto the 0705 to St Pancras. A pleasant journey clocking 110mph on my garmin!
Once off the train I left the Station at 0820 and followed my plannde route northawards long main thoroughfares, and quiet residential roads. Once past Cockfosters Underground station after 12 miles I was in open country...and Hertfordshire!
Soon I crossed the M25 and through Potters Bar - then my first problem! The bikeroutetoaster route wanted me to head straight through Hatfield House grounds...but the gate was locked. I had wanted to see if I could spot the old Oak tree that marks the spot where Princess Elizabeth was told she was to be the first Queen Elizabeth.
I decided to turn left and this was the right choice - soon I was through Welwyn & off the the halfway point at Hitchin. The was a dull unfriendly place under threatening grey skies with nowhere to stop for a much needed coffee... Leaving town I was led onto a narrow footpath, quite unsuitable for a road bike, but I could hear the main road & got through the brambles on foot!
Feeling tired I pushed on to Bedford leaving the main road to pass through the Hamlet of...Ireland! This is close to Old Warden. Soon I was pleased to spot the two massive buildings/warehouses south of Bedford
Once into Bedfors I was again taken off the road along a lovely river footpath into town. At the picturesque (!) bus station I spotted a cafe & enjoyed a big coffee & chicken pie whilst chatting to the local nutter ("I used to come here when this was areal cafe!!!")
Leaving Bedford I had planned a cross country route but decided, for speed reasons, to stick on the A6 to Rushded. This A6 is a really boring road but did it's job.
Once at Rushden I was in familier territory and, with a second wind, skirted Finedon, Burton Latimer, and was soon home.
An epic solo ride completed in 7 hours with 6 hrs pedalling, all into a NE wind (no 'angels breath' today!). I shadowed a few other cyclists on the way but not enough common route for any meaningful chatter.
79.5m 6h03m @13.1mph 3312ft climb

No comments:

Post a Comment