Sunday 31 October 2010

30th October - "Tour of the Peaks" Cat & Fiddle



Jeez a toughie+++

Met up with DooGood - after 40 miles he carried on to do the full 97 mile route (in 9 hours) - it was good to catch up with 'no longer' novice Tim from LEJOG '09.
The hills came thick & fast - with some painful ascents. "Embrace the pain!" was the call, and "You need Quads of the Gods to climb this..." [this being the evil Devils Arse 'Winnats Pass']
Record footage of climb in one day (prev 5500ft over Dartmoor), and hit record speed (45.3mph) coming down into Castleton when the road was straight & clear.
Most decents were buttock clenching, break squeezing, frustrating affairs after all the effort to get up. The break blocks were losing traction as they heated up, and the cold hand muscles complained as I squeezed for so long. At the bottom of one hil some silly prick had stopped his big van right across the road!
The cat'n'Fiddle hill was a brilliant long drag up out of sunshine into the clouds, with fantastic views.

Winnats Pass 1 in 5 was impossible & with a broken down car & pain in my R knee I had to stop & walk. Will tackle it again one day....next time at the start of the ride!!

Once Tim & I parted the 25 miles home were very tough into a stiff cold wind and many steep hills to contend with. Twice more my poor legs & chest busting heartrate forced me to stop & walk. The only 3 times I've ever got off Belle to walk...and on the same day.
The run back into base was most welcome & generous applause from strangers much appreciated. Looks like Tim got in 3 hours later...I know I couldn't have done the 97 miles...
Great ride but a few too many steep hills for me....
64m @11.72mph 5h28 6694ft climbing!! 2010 total 1406m

Oh Dear - as I type now poor old Michiel is about to undergo surgery for a broken hip.
He came off this morning when out for a cycle with Tim (Myhill). Looks like he landed awkwardly - such a shame as he's been so enthusiastic about cycling on his lovely Cannondale - 'Beau'.
My thoughts are with you mate - get well soon, and get pedalling again in the New Year.....
LATEST NEWS (2/11/10) Michiel is home!!!!

1 comment: