Wednesday 22 September 2010

22/9/10 Off with his head! Fotheringhay & back!



Day off - balmy Indain summer weather forecast so I set off out past Brigstock to Little Benefield - instead of turning left I continued north along a lovely single track gated road in the warming sunshine. Soon I was at Fotheringhay & sought out the site of the old Mott 7 Bailey Castle by the river. This castle became a prison, most famously for Mary Queen of Scots for many years.
Eventually her Sister Elizabeth I signed the papers & Mary was executed, for treason, on this site. The executioner wasn't very proficient & had to do a second chop - Mary's lips were seen to move in this space of time..horrific!(Her servants reported they thought she had whispered the words "Sweet Jesus.").
Poignantly, and probaly not accidentally, the top of the Mott is adorned by some Scottish Thistles! I sat there in the sun & peaceful breeze & thought about what happened there on 8th February 1587. There is nothing left of the actual building now - all the stonework is apparently part of alot of the local buildings!
Anyway I headed south & home via Oundle, Wadenhow & Woodford making good speed. Feeling quite fit at the moment if a little tired by the finish. Nice route - will do this one again I'm sure.
40.32m 2h26m @16.5 1582ft climb

NEXT RIDE - Meetting Michiel for the CYCLE4CYNTHIA 26th Sept. Did this one 2 yrs ago - marked the start of 12 LEJOG training! Found it tough on my old Raleigh that day...

No comments:

Post a Comment